The MARD Centre aims to improve traffic safety by minimizing the risks that medically at-risk and medically impaired drivers pose to society.
- Motor vehicle crashes in Alberta cost approximately $3.9 billion per year (Government of Alberta, 2006).
- Diseases and treatments for many illnesses can negatively affect driving ability.
- Driving while medically impaired is a significant but preventable public health issue.
- The identification of medically at-risk, unsafe drivers is possible with effective tools, education programs, and policy advances.
- The aging of the baby boomers increases the need for advancements in this area, with anticipated benefits for all road users.